Pages

Thursday 13 March 2014

You said WHAT to a Pregnant Woman?!


Kathryn Gibbs Photography
There is an myth of how fragile the emotional state of a pregnant woman is. That she is difficult, angry and just plain crazy. I agree with some of it. I wasn’t the difficult, hard-to-please kind of crazy; I was more the ‘cry-at-the-drop-of-a-hat', over sensitive kind of crazy.

When you break it down, between the hormones, fear, joy, exhaustion and anticipation, she doesn’t know how to feel. I can attest to that. I was pregnant with Mason, in my first trimester, over Christmas in 2010. We hadn’t told anyone yet, so I was trying to keep in the crazy. I remember watching TV with my mom and bawling at a Canadian Tire commercial. I couldn’t even speak about the commercial or I would tear up. Anything sentimental would open the floodgates.
Here is the video:



Another reason some women are seen as crazy or over emotional can be from the unsolicited tips, questions and comments from strangers, friends and family. I found this list of what not to say to a pregnant woman from parenting.com. 
The top ones I experienced were:
  • You don't look that pregnant! (Trust me...I am.) 
  • Are you going to nurse/cloth diaper/co-sleep…(It’s my choice regardless.)
  • Can I touch your belly?
Believe me when I say you’d be lucky to be asked permission. Many people seem to think your baby belly is public domain. Imagine rubbing theirs back? I bet it wouldn’t go over well.

In case you are trying to compliment a pregnant woman; here is another list of tips on what may be insulting. It may not seem like a big deal to you, but there are many sensitive subjects! Check it out here from Huffington Post.

This isn’t meant to discourage complimenting a woman at what can be considered the most beautiful part of life, but tread lightly. She means well…try carrying a watermelon under your shirt for months with all the lovely side effects, and forget seeing your feet…

Keep strong mamas, and those who deal with mamas, it will all be worth it!

3 comments:

  1. I love your blog Asta, and the pictures are absolutely adorable! I am not a mom yet, but I love your insight and how your write. You capture the joy of being a mom, with a great sense of humour!! Thank you for sharing your experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. having been pregnant myself, I can really relate to this blog. I could never get enough food or enough sleep when I was pregnant. and as far as cravings went, I craved olives stuffed with pimento peppers and ate restaurant size containers of them and I too cried at the drop of a hat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm embarrassed to admit that many of the things you mentioned on this list of what not-to-do, I've done.
    I'll keep all of these things in mind for whenever I speak with a pregnant woman again.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete