Pages

Thursday 27 February 2014

Helicopter Parenting 101

Bruce Sallan
One ‘myth’ I find to be entirely true is how coddled the first baby can be. With Mason, I was so careful. I sterilized everything. I baby proofed everything.  If he had a slight fever or cough, we were at the doctor’s. I was paranoid I was going to mess up my little human being. I was one of 'those' helicopter parents, buzzing around trying to save the day every time.
Mason's mess

Thankfully, reality set in quickly. In perfect time, before I had two little monsters running around. Along came Sebastian. This kid gives me a run for my money, and sanity, daily. (It’s a good thing I figured out perfection isn’t necessary.)  He empties cupboards,      tips over boxes and tries to go head first over the couch. My favourite recent dose of Sebastian chaos was when he hung from his high chair tray c
hin up style just yesterday.

Sebastian isn’t ‘babied’ as much as Mason was. Trying to reverse the helicopter parenting we started is difficult. We’ve taught him to assess if he’s actually hurt after a fall, or if he spills some water, it’s not the end of the world. It will dry.

These were difficult lessons to learn. Here are seven more myths of perfect parenting from psychcentral.com for you to check out. Don't fall victim to them!


Having two busy boys, I've had to keep up…and I’m still running! More chaos to come...

-A


Messy Sebby

7 comments:

  1. Those two pictures are hilarious! It's amazing how different siblings are/ can be when it comes to behaviour and making messes. The youngest child always seems to be the one keeping the parents on their toes (my younger brother was a handful as a child - always running, slipping, falling, etc.). But now that he's 19 he's mellowed out and likes to sleep more than he likes to run around and climb all over things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read all of your posts here so far, and I am so proud of you Asta. You are really one of the busiest ladies balancing work, school, two little boys, and a sweet family. I enjoy reading your posts, and I do know every mom is doing their best for kids. Mom is the most beautiful word for me. I am missing my mom now haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both your children are beautiful! I love the photos. I have two siblings and my parents definitely learned to become less like “helicopter parents” as time went on. My younger brother was definitely coddled less from my parents than my sister and I because like you said I feel like they learned to assess situations differently. But he has also had two sisters to spoil him here and there ;). I can only imagine how tough yet awarding being a parent is! It looks like you’re doing a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know how you do it, but it looks like your doing a good job. I am not a mother but my cousin is about to have her first child and she is definitely going to be one of those 'helicopter parents'. I will have to show her your blog, thanks Asta.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You really are wonder mum aren't you! You make parenting look easy. I'm sure mums everywhere would find your blog informative. Great tips!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have a super cute family Asta.
    I can honestly say if I were to have kids I'd probably be the type of parent that will wrap everything in like pillows or something.
    I have three nieces and I was terrified to even hold the oldest because I thought she was made of glass, but like you said once my second niece was born I was a lot more comfortable.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. As the oldest child, I definitely noticed this growing up. It could have been as simple as not being allowed to watch a movie with anything above a PG13 rating and my sister being able to watch it at a considerably younger age than I was. I think they were much more relaxed raising my sister in that respect, with 4 years already under their belt.

    Your boys are adorable, Asta.

    ReplyDelete