Pages

Thursday 13 February 2014

Motherhood Myths

Frabz.com
 
If you don't agree with the myths of motherhood, you must be doing it wrong. Maybe you just weren’t cut out for motherhood. OR…you are HUMAN.  

I found a great list on mommyish.com. The highlights that give me flashbacks are below.

Motherhood means being deliriously happy all the time

Delirious? You betcha! Happy? Check! Both simultaneously, 24/7? No way. To assume it’s all going to be sunshine and rainbows is naïve. It is hard work. Sleep deprivation was the hardest for me. At 4am, while I would be rocking my baby back to sleep for the eighth time…he’d smile at me. My first thought was always ‘you're lucky you’re cute.’

Your maternity leave is like a vacation

Maybe if you are vacationing at a resort that has alarms that go off every 3-4 hours and you have to decipher what they mean and how to make it stop…all day and night. Forget relaxing, sleeping, showering and eating regularly. Not happening.

If you’re not completely fulfilled by motherhood, something must be wrong with you

Team Umizoomi
Babies are wonderful. Being a mother has made me a better person. However, I am still an independent thinking, thriving human being. I need more mental stimulation than cooing with my infant, or watching endless episodes of Team Umizoomi (Mason LOVES Team Umizoomi.) and that is ok.

Don’t let mom guilt consume you. Does it all seem scary? Maybe. But it’s the biggest thrill of my life. Watching your children grow, learn and love is all you can ask for.


-A

7 comments:

  1. I may not be a mom but I can relate to this. I got a puppy (and I know a dog is know where close to as having a baby and kids!) over the Christmas holidays and you expect things to be all fine and dandy but the reality is, it's not. And that's okay. Real life isn't as glamorous as Hollywood and our culture makes it out to be. So its nice that you were able to tell it like it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Puppies are a great testing period for kids. They take responsibility and time too, you are right there Jessica! I've seen photos of your puppy- too cute!

      Delete
  2. HaHa! I love your maternity leave is like a vacation . I used to fantasize about a sleep vacation. Where all that would happen is sleep. Seriously, it's still a dream.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sleep? What's that? Haha the delirium helps with that ;)

      Delete
    2. Asta: never let anyone tell you that you are not being relevant when you are a mom. There is NOTHING more important than to have two little human lives to shape and form and mold into boys who will grow up to be strong beautiful men, who will in turn raise their children the same way.

      Delete
  3. This happens all the time! I don't have any children but a lot of my friends do and there always seems to be someone, somewhere telling them they're not doing it right. Whether it's in-laws, other moms, or society, people always seem to feel that there's only ONE way to do something which is absurd!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always find it interesting to read into a lifestyle that differs from my own, and this was definitely an informative and insightful read.

    ReplyDelete