Pages

Thursday 20 February 2014

Words of Wisdom

Molly Mesnick's Shower
I went to a baby shower this past weekend. They had a book in which you could write advice for the first-time mom. It very much made me think, what would I tell myself 2.5 years ago? I’ve compiled a few tips that I wish I had known, or had listened to, when Mason was born. (And in some cases, when Sebastian was born.)

Cleaning can wait. The laundry, the dishes, the toys, anything, can wait. I knew too this but felt I had to accomplish more than just taking care of the baby. Now I think…WHAT?! More than JUST taking care of the baby. Right, because it’s that simple...give yourself more credit!

Mason - 2 months old
Sleep when the baby sleeps, if at all possible. There is actually science behind it! Check it out. Sleeping at the same time is much easier with one baby at home of course. With Mason, I napped like a champ whenever I could. Once Sebastian came along, I had a newborn and a 19 month old…that was a different story. Take it when you can.

Be present. Put down the phone/tablet/laptop, turn the TV off and enjoy. These moments are so fleeting that you need to soak it all in. This doesn’t mean you need to photograph every second of their life either. Get a few great shots of their first step, the mess they made trying to eat or whatever it may be. Then look up and enjoy.


Sebastian's first steps

I know these all sound cheesy and typical, but they are so easy to forget. Those were the tips I left for my friend. Here is some more great advice I found from cafemom!

What would you tell a first time parent?


-A

6 comments:

  1. I recently went to a baby shower of a very close friend and was asked to write down some motherly advice. I am not a mother but I just thought of all the stories I have always heard but also wrote down a message to the baby as it gets older and reads to say that I am always there if their mommy and daddy get mad, they can always rely on me. Figured it was something different.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My brother's girlfriend is due in August. I will soon be an Aunt! I'll be sure to pass on the wonderful motherly advice you have provided here. I enjoyed the video by the way :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. my words of wisdom,

    This too shall pass. When you feel like the situation you are in with baby seems like it will never end, trust me, it will and you will make it out alive.

    You cannot spoil a newborn. Holding them close, carrying them, responding quickly to their cries etc, creates a secure baby because his needs are met.

    Live in the present moment. Babies grow and change so fast, take in every moment, the rest can wait.

    Get out of the house with baby! Go to baby groups and playdates. Being with other moms with babies the same age is important. It creates a support system of other mothers who are going through the same stages as you are at about the same time. (from teething to diapers to walking to potty training etc...)

    Don't be afraid to ask for help or to accept help offered. Sometimes it's nice to have the time to take a slow shower or eat a hot meal or run an errand...or just have a little 'me' time.

    Every baby progresses at their own rate. some never crawl, some scoot, some decide to go straight to walking. Some potty train at 18mths, some at 3.5yrs. Try not to compare your child to someone elses, each baby is different and will progress differently. Instead, Take the time to enjoy the new stages your baby is going through, they don't last long :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always told everyone that the only time my house was tidy was after the boys were in bed. You are absolutely correct....cleaning will always need to be done...kids grow up too quickly to have your priorities screwed up. Family first, you will never regret it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Asta, I realize your blog is about motherhood. And that I myself am NOT a mother nor will I EVER be. Nevertheless, it was interesting reading your insight into motherhood. You offer good advice for soon-to-be and aspiring mothers everywhere.

    I especially liked when you stated, "Put down the phone/tablet/laptop, turn the TV off and enjoy. These moments are so fleeting that you need to soak it all in."

    In the modern digital age, people are always on the go and so invested in these material devices that they may forget what LIFE is truly all about.

    Kudos to you for realizing this and trying to help others realize it too. You seem like a wonderful mother and your children are lucky to have you.

    By the way, the video was adorable and a nice addition to your post. The little guy was pretty good with his first steps.

    Keep up the good work Asta!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Asta, your boys are adorable and I think that you give some really good advice on this blog. It's awesome that you were able to capture that moment on video and I'm sure that your son will appreciate it when he's older.

    ReplyDelete